We woke up early for the first day of class. I hate to be rushed in the morning so Anne and I went and got a nice cup of coffee and took our time getting to class.
After an hour-long orientation, we got down to small groups for simulated negotiation. The professor in my group is a Texan and used to teach at UT Law before becoming a dean at Tulane. I didn’t do so well in my first mock negotiation.
We had lunch in the cafeteria at Humboldt University. For 5 Euros, we had lunch with a student from Humboldt. Navigating a cafeteria entirely in German was certainly an experience. The chicken wasn’t so bad, and the berries were really good.
The afternoon session of class was tough after such a long lunch. I decided to skip out of the evening lecture since it was designed for non-American students, and I needed a nap. I felt about 10,000 times better after I caught some sleep while Anne and Robyn did some shopping.
After I woke up, I left to meet Melissa and the boys for some Kebab at some pseudo-famous Kebab stand near their apartment. Kaplan Doner did hold up to its reputation – it was delish.
Following dinner, we went back to their apartment. They wanted to show me their “bohemian loft”. It really did look like a crack house on the outside (crumbling wallpaper, creepy pictures of old women hanging down, boarded up windows and floors) but was perfectly delightful on the inside. I hung out with them for a while and debriefed their 16 week trip through Norway and Europe.
During the cab ride home, I left my phone in the taxi. I ran inside and grabbed Robyn’s phone, but she was out of minutes. So I ran back downstairs, flagged down a German family and offered them 5 Euros if they let me use their cell phone for one moment. The women politely replied “shit happens” and handed over her iPhone. I called my phone and the cab driver answered and said he would be there in ten minutes. Neither the German family, nor the cab driver would accept my attempts to compensate them. So polite!
No comments:
Post a Comment