Thursday, July 29, 2010

Costa Rica: Michelle's Wedding, Day 1

Today, I head to Jaco Beach, Costa Rica to watch one of my closest friends from high school, Michelle Phillips, or "Mikey" as I like to call her, get hitched.  Packing was a nightmare, because I categorically refused to check luggage.  So I had to fit everything I needed for

I had an early flight from Austin (AUS), before meeting up with the rest of the wedding party in Houston (IAH).  The AUS-IAH segment was pretty uneventful.  I did sit next to someone that looked exactly like Amelia's GBF, Kalani.  On the annoying side, the mother of two small children, seated directly behind me, took the opportunity to read Harry Potter to her cute (read: annoying) kids.  I could block it out with my headphones.  But the flight attendants would come by and force me to turn off my iPod, and I wanted to throw the book out of the window.  The Kalani look-a-like (who wore sunglasses the entire flight) and I bonded over it.


Once in Houston, I was real thankful to get upgraded.  I met up with the rest of the wedding party.  Already a little overwhelmed.   Right before take-off I got passport panic.  I made the flight attendant check my jacket (yes, I brought a trench coat to the rainforest in July, no that was not a good decision).  It was eventually found underneath the guy (also with the wedding party) seated next to me.

We finally arrived in Costa Rica, and, surprise, I left my duty free purchases (champagne and scotch) on the plane.  And, of course, I didn't realize it until after I deplaned.  I had to send some poor gate agent back in to the plane to track it down.  I told the rest of the party to go ahead, so then I had to wait  in line with strangers when I went to clear customs.  I asked the customs agent to stamp my passport on page 15, and that brat stamped it on page 13.  I know it's an annoying pet peeve, but I want stamps on different pages.  Page 13 is the same page as my UK stamp.

Once we cleared customs, someone's luggage was lost.  I could have majored in lost luggage.  Since another plane from IAH was coming into SJO in twenty minutes, we decided to wait to see if his bag was just off-loaded.  Sure enough, it came on down with a flight from Lima five minutes later.  The idiots good folks at SJO forgot to load it.  The guy behind me on the plane told me that "patience is mandatory in Costa Rica."  I guess I should keep that in mind.

Twenty or so gringos boarded a sketchy bus headed from SJO to Jaco.  It is, allegedly, an hour and a half drive.  I wasn't timing, but I am fairly sure that it was more like 3hrs.  Eduardo, our driver, spoke about 8 words of English.  Luckily, I speak about 9 words of Spanish.  Most importantly, I knew how to say "necessitamos comprar cervesa".  My summer in Guanajuato was definitely worth it.  There were only two positive parts of this trip: 1) Eduardo recommended Imperial Beer, which we drank for three days straight; and 2) arriving at Los Suenos Resort in Jaco.

After finally getting checked in, we had dinner at the resort.  My quesadillas were great, the veggies were so fresh.   I drank plenty on the plane, so Iced Tea sufficed for dinner.  After dinner we retreated to our room to get ready.

Since it was Katy's birthday at midnight (as she reminded us, several, times, throughout the night) I let her do my eye makeup.  Not sure if that was a great of terrible idea. We got recommendations from the bartenders at the hotel as to where to go.  Katy wore a tight dress, that caused Mike, her brother, to be on booty patrol all night.  The dress may not be Latin America friendly, but watching Mike run around to try to keep anyone from looking at her was absolutely hilarious.

The nightlife in Jaco is supposed to be legendary.  I wouldn't say it's a lot better than Sixth Street.  We were out early so it hadn't really picked up yet.  We did appreciate "Ladies Night" at Le Loft, which in Costa Rica, means free drinks for all the girls.

After it started pouring down rain, we decided to turn in to the hotel bar.  I guess that's why they call it a rainforest. Katy hit on a waitor.  Scot hit on a waitress.  I went to bed after what is possibly the most disgusting shot I ever tasted. Tomorrow brings a 7:30am meet time before our canopy tour.




























No comments:

Post a Comment