Sunday, July 04, 2010

Galveston: Independence Day

I spent part of the holiday weekend at home in Kingwood with my family.  I take celebrating America very seriously.  So, I met some friends at Katie's family's beach houses in Galveston to celebrate the day.

The drive out was actually quite peaceful.  It took just over an hour from my parent's house.  Katie's houses are on the Bolivar Peninsula on Crystal Beach.  Apparently, the drive is miserable if you take the Ferry, so I stuck to the highways.

The day was great.  Beautiful weather.  Admittedly, Galveston is no Trunk Bay, but it's still nice to spend time in the sun and sand with friends.

We spent most of the day on the beach.  Apparently, it's cool to ride up and down the beach on a cart, or truck, or jeep.  There is a spot at the end of the beach where everyone congregates called "the Zoo".  It's real redneck, which is always fun.

A full day of drinking and eating BBQ was capped off with an amazing firework show produced by our group.  Katie's parents picked up like $700 worth of fireworks and everyone set them off at the beach.  The highlight was "The Instigator"

bc9.jpg

The whole show was great.  Allison and I refused to actually set off any fireworks for fear of injury.  That's what law school does to you.  Ironically, Allison was the only injury, she burned herself with a sparkler.  Very wise.  




The night was capped off with some Cajun card game called Bourré (pronounced Boo-ray), and a little too much Maker's Mark.  I won :)


I felt less than 100% the next morning, needless to say.  After some awesome omelets prepared by Chefs Albert and Katie,  I hit the road back to Kingwood.  



No comments:

Post a Comment