| Peyto Lake |
The GyPSy
took us down through Banff National Park, past Lake Louise, and on to the Ice
Fields Parkway. We passed some truly
amazing sights along the way. Apparently
Canadians love road trips, because there were scenic pull offs in every
direction. One of the particularly
amazing sights was Peyote Lake. It was
named after some explorer named “Wild Bill Peyto”. It was a glacier cut lake turned a beautiful
blue thanks to glacier flour.
| Snow |
As we
continued down Ice Field Parkway, it actually began to snow. Considering its
well over 100 degrees in Austin some snow was perfectly welcome. We stopped at some other lovely turnoff to
take pictures, of course. We saw some
sweet glaciers along the way, too.
The
Columbia Ice Fields are beautiful.
Apparently, ice fields are like lakes, and glaciers are like
rivers. So, there were a bunch of
glaciers near the ice fields.
We took an awesome glacier tour. These cool
atv/ bus things drove us down this steep ridge onto the ice field. They let us out on top of the glacier. Mom and I both had supremely unfit
footwear. Tory Burch did not have
glacier walks in mind when she made flats.
Neither did Sperry. So we were
slipping and sliding all over the ice, but neither of us ever ate it. I did get to drink glacier water, which was
also awesome.
After the
glacier walk, we headed back down the Ice Fields Parkway. We saw some more awesome stuff, and stopped
in at Num Ti Jah Lodge for lunch. The
building, which sits directly on Bow Lake, was actually built as the home of
some early explorers. Lunch wasn’t particularly
remarkable – backpacker fare, but we took some really beautiful pictures on Bow
Lake.
Once we
made it back to the town of Banff, we swung by the hotel to change, and then
hit up the Banff Gondola. Since my flats
were covered in mud, I changed into Rainbows.
When we got to the top of the Banff Gondola, I realized that I made some
really poor packing decisions. The
gondola did provide for some truly beautiful views of the Canadian Rockies,
Banff, and the Bow River.
| Bow Lake |
After the
gondola experience, we went to the upper hot springs. The springs are fed by sulphur, but it
doesn’t smell. We got to enjoy the
magical rejuvenation power with like 100 other people. It was like relaxing in a really awesome hot
tub for 45 minutes.
In the
morning we ate breakfast at some hippie coffee shop called Wild Flour and then
headed back to the Calgary airport. I
really didn’t get to see any of Calgary, but I guess I will have to save that
for next time.
No comments:
Post a Comment