Friday, October 01, 2010

Dallas: Texas/ OU, Day 1

Road trip to Dallas to watch the Texas Longhorns take on the Oklahoma Sooners.  We left Austin at 10am to avoid traffic.  I picked up Kelly and Sarah, almost forgot my ticket, and then we got to the highway for the 200 mile drive to Dallas.

We didn't want to stop until after we passed Waco.  We made a crucial pit stop at the Czech Stop of West, Texas.  My roast beef kolache left something to be desired; the cream cheese kolache was absolutely clutch.

We got to Dallas, and checked in to the La Quinta.  Somehow, the LQ was even worse than I imagined.  The only redeeming quality is the location.  It's right on Henderson so it's real close to a lot of bars, restaurants, and shops.  And, La Quinta is Spanish for "next to Denny's", so that came in handy.

We had a little time to kill.  We got mani/pedis at some nail salon up the road.  Not the best mani I've ever had, but totes worth it for $30.  We did get burnt orange nails.  Sarah had the good sense to bring the color.  I believe it was called OPI "Clubbing All Night".

After the nail salon, we headed over to Nieman Marcus in Downtown to meet up with one of Kelly's friends.  Getting there was a nightmare.  You can't just let three girls loose inside of the Nieman's.  I ended up getting my makeup done at Bobbi Brown, and ended up buying $80 worth of makeup and getting enough perfume samples to last a year or two of travels.  I always look for the sample size of Chanel Chance since that's what I always wear, but have not found it yet.  I try to get stuff in under 3 fluid ounces.  Nothing is useful if I can't take it on an airplane.  Kelly and Sarah had a little fashion montage while my makeup was being finished.  I found them locked in a dressing room with 20 outfits.

We got back to the LQ and then got ready for the night.  We met up with Fern, and our friend Liz at Neighborhood Services Tavern.  The food was pretty good.  Fried asparagus is my new favorite vegetable, and my scallops were great.  I strongly recommend getting the bartender to make you a Bullets & Bourbon.

After dinner I parted from my law school friends, and went to my friend Desiree's Birthday Party.

Des lives just down the road,  so Fern took me to the parts.  Desiree takes her birthday very seriously, which I can appreciate.  We cracked open her new margarita machine, and I got to catch up with old friends for a bit.  Sadly, I couldn't stay long.  I had to get back to the LQ to get ready for Red River Party that was all the way downtown.

We arranged for transport for the weekend through City Shuttle.  They were really great.  After some initial confusion over which La Quinta from which we were to be picked up, they got us safely to Eddie Deen's Ranch.  Don't worry, we iced Eric before we left.

The party was kind of a blur.  A lot of UT Alums so it was nice to see a lot of folks I haven't seen in a while.


You can see how the party went for me by following the amount I have spilled on my dress. I think you probably get the point.


The party was a lot of fun.  Everywhere you turned you saw old friends, a great dance floor, H-Bombs, and Texas spirit.  What more could you ask for to get psyched for TX/OU.

Texas Fight! 
Travis 
Our driver from City Shuttle picked us up around 2a.  We were even able to help some friends get home.  It was definitely worth it to not be apart of one of the fifty public intoxication tickets that were given out by Dallas PD that evening.

We late night dined at Denny's.  Always a bad idea.  Chocolate milk?  Really?  I needed that?  The night before going to the state fair?  Apparently, I did.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to hear you didn't forget your ticket again ;)

    Also, I'm impressed with the way your dress held up to so many drinks.

    ReplyDelete