Sunday, September 19, 2010

Oklahoma City: Oklahoma Tour, Day 2

I woke up this morning feeling like a loser. Oh wait, I am.  I hate losing.  I am way too competitive for Oklahoma gambling establishments.

We were barely moving in time to make it to breakfast before checkout.  There was an eggs issue at breakfast.  They were out.  How can a place be out of eggs?  That doesn't even make any sense.  After some whining, the manager actually went to the store to buy eggs just for our table.  I guess pouting works.

Megan and Brad drove me up to OKC to go to Kate's house.  We passed by the "famous" Moore, Oklahoma.  The proud home of Toby Keith.  I guess that's something to be proud of.

 After I was dropped off at Kate's adorable house, we ate lunch at Hideway Pizza and then went to the Warr Acres Fire Station with Kate's husband, Taylor.  Taylor gave me a great tour of the whole station.  I think I missed that day in elementary school where you got to see a fire station.

We even toured the back rooms, the office, the gym, etc.  I got to see where the firemen sleep while waiting for a call.  And, most importantly, we got to see the pole.

After the firehouse, Kate took me on an Oklahoma City tour.  Even though she's relatively new to the city, I think we managed to hit all the hot spots.

Oklahoma City has fewer people than I thought it did.  The traffic wasn't very bad at all.  There is a lovely lake by where Kate, and my family, live.


There is a pumpjack in the supermarket parking lot by Kate's house.  It was one of the most obscure things I have ever seen.


We also went and say the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum.  I was only nine years old whenever the federal building was bombed.  I thought the Memorial was very tasteful, and serves as a great reminder of what my entire generation began to learn at an early age.

 
After touring the Memorial, I went to dinner at my Aunt Peri and Uncle Greg's house.  They were only fifteen minutes from Kate.  It was really great to catch up with Aunt Peri, Uncle Greg, Scotty, and Katie; it was also great to have a home-cooked meal!  I wish I got to see them more often.  Aunt Peri found a treasure trove of my grandfather's mementos, including letters he wrote to my grandmother in 1949!

I stayed pretty late chatting before Scotty had to head back to OU, and I had to get back to Kate's to catch my early flight out in morning.  OKC is not the most exotic destination I have ever visited, but I hope to go back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment