Sunday, August 01, 2010

Costa Rica: Michelle's Wedding, Day 4






The morning hit me like a ton of bricks. I legitimately tried to see if I could stay another day, but, alas, real life was waiting back in Austin. I woke up at 6:40am, ouch. I still had to pack, pay my airport tax, and settle my bill with the hotel.

I arranged for my transfer back to the airport with Tucan Limo Services. I was able to arrange it online before I left, and pay by credit card when we arrived at the airport. Rocio, my driver (the first female driver we had the entire time in Costa Rica), was great. She was waiting for me right on time, helped with my bags, spoke English (though she let me try out some of my Spanish) and drove the Mercedes E Class like a pro.

Rocio narrated the drive back to SJO, which was great. We passed over some of the same sites we did on the way there, but this time I knew what was going on. She took me to this great little cafe where, for the first time on the trip, I felt like I was actually in Costa Rica. I got an awesome cup of coffee and some plantain chips (which at this point had become a food group). The cafe had beautiful ocean and rainforest views, but there was not a gringo in sight. I wish I could have stayed and had whatever it was that smelled so good, but, Continental waits for no one.


I had tons of time before my flight. I got my ticket and cleared security without event. One interesting note: there was a seperate line in security for anyone that was traveling with persons under the age of 18. At first I thought it was to expedite security (which would be awesome), but it turns out it was just a seperate line for them to check passports. Apparently child smuggling is a big deal in Costa Rica.

I got upgraded on the way back too, thank God. Though, the VIP Club in SJO doesn't work with Continental, boo. I waited it out at the gate; bought some more coffee, chocolate, and plantain chips; and boarded the plane without incident. I sat next to a delightful farmer. But I read The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo for most of the flight. Great book.

Arrived in Houston, ran off the plane to beat the rest of the flight to customs. Half way down to customs, I realized I left my passport on the plane. My trainer cannot get mad at me for failing to do cardio, because I broke out a flat out sprint back to the plane. With the flight attendants help, I recovered my passport from the seatback in front of my, and went back through customs.

I had dinner with my parents in Houston since I had a 2.5hr layover. Downed some hibachi and then headed back to the airport to go to Austin. No upgrade for this flight.

I boarded early, and when boarding was nearly finished, this woman came to sit in our middle seat with her two year old wrapped around her neck. I immediately start complaining about how miz this flight will be via twitter. Continental came through with the upgrade right before the flight. I offered it to the woman travelling with her child, but she declined.

Made it to Austin, didn't leave anything on the plane. It was such a great trip, but now it's back to the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment